After years of coaching entrepreneurs to build 6 figure businesses, I am very aware of how many entrepreneurs get discouraged, frequently to a point of giving up. Here are my top tips for overcoming discouragement.
Here is what absolutely does work
- Remember it is not personal. So many entrepreneurs feel stupid or helpless. Or worse, like something is the matter with them. That is not it! All entrepreneurs go through this. You are just on a journey, the same one all successful entrepreneurs have walked before you. When you start out, and each time you are ready for the next big breakthrough, you will get discouraged. This is a normal part of figuring out what you don’t yet know. Embrace it – you are on your way to the next successful stage of your entrepreneurial journey.
- Understand that fear and doubt are normal. In fact, they are mandatory for building a business. If you wanted normal, then you wouldn’t have tried to start a business right? This journey will be filled with fear, and doubt and excitement. Instead of feeling discouraged, try congratulating yourself on getting out of your comfort zone. You are not trying to be ordinary, and the road to extraordinary is paved with fear and doubt.
- Don’t work alone. Join other groups of entrepreneurs, especially successful or positive ones. Having worked with thousands of entrepreneurs, and run year long mastermind programs for entrepreneurs for many years now, I am a huge believer in the value of a positive support network for getting entrepreneurs out of their negative self-talk. Staying connected gets you out of playing head games with yourself. This is one of the reasons our Mastermind programs work so well. If you would like to find out more about our mastermind groups, click here.
- Stay in Action. Action gets results. Massive action gets massive results. However, even poor action or wrong works well. This is because you will quickly receive feedback that it is not working, and can readjust. You will be better off for all action. Inaction teaches you nothing. The best method is, of course, a well thought out strategic action.
- Stop measuring your results in financial terms. Newer companies take time to get the dollars flowing in. Stay positive and focused on progress by measuring accomplishments and not just dollars.
- Look after YOU. Healthy food, enough sleep, regular exercise, and plenty of love will all keep your tank full enough to keep you motivated and positive.
- Learn from the masters in your field. They have probably conquered the obstacles facing you. Study what they do and what makes them successful. Model it.
How do YOU cope when you get discouraged.
I would love to hear your tips. Please share them below.